Justin L. Williams has been recognized as a Distinguished Professional.
Justin L. Williams is a preeminent plaintiff's personal injury attorney based in Corpus Christi, Texas. Board-certified in civil trial law, Mr. Williams is a co-founder and shareholder of Williams Attorneys PLLC where he concentrates his practice on multi-million-dollar oilfield injury cases. For his industry-leading representation and history of success over his more than thirty-year career, he has been selected to the Super Lawyers list, recognized among America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, and featured on PBS's NewsHour and NPR's All Things Considered, among many other prestigious accolades.
A 1983 graduate of the University of Houston Law Center, Mr. Williams decided to become an attorney as a way to defend the right to trial by jury. As he tells it:
I believe in the Constitution. In most countries around the world, a person has no ability to fight the government or powerful institutions. But in the U.S., because of our Constitution, we have the right to level the playing field as long as lawyers with talent are willing to fight for those rights.
Before he began focusing exclusively on plaintiff's litigation, Mr. Williams practiced as a defense lawyer, representing many of the major oilfield companies across America, including ExxonMobil, Shell, and Texaco. He has also been involved in cases originating in the North Sea, off the coast of Scotland, and in Switzerland, to name a few
Today, Mr. Williams brings the experience and knowledge he gained during the years he spent representing defendants to help injured oil workers obtain maximum compensation for their pain and suffering. He also represents clients in mass tort cases, whistleblowers in Federal or State False Claims Act cases, and royalty owners in commercial litigation.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Williams has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients, gaining him memberships in the Million and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums. Among his many achievements, Mr. Williams' firm is one of the only in the country that has successfully prosecuted against a generic drug manufacturer. Additionally, the $20 million verdict he won for a doctor who was wrongfully terminated for standing up for patients' rights earned Mr. Williams coverage in media outlets all over the country, including a cover story in Medical Economics magazine.
With this prominence, Mr. Williams maintains a unique vantage point from which to keep his eye on prevailing trends in personal injury law. In particular, he has seen a drastic change in how insurance companies settle claims, which has had a huge effect on his clients. He noted:
In the past, insurance had always been available to people who needed it. But after the Exxon Valdez oil spill, there was a concerted effort by insurance companies to put profit over people, even when paying the injured. From there, two concepts came about that have become very dangerous to our system of justice: arbitration and personal responsibility. In both these instances, corporations essentially get to buy justice, whether it be through the sheer number of arbitrations or using personal responsibility to escape liability for their actions.
After more than three decades dedicated to law, Mr. Williams shows no signs of slowing down. Looking to the future, he hopes to be the first attorney in the history of the US to win a million-dollar verdict at the age of 100.
Education & Certification
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D., 1983)
- University of Houston (B.A., Political Science, 1980)
- Honors: Phi Delta Phi, Moot Court, Mock Trial
- North Dakota
- U.S District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, Western, and Southern Districts
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
Areas of Practice
Professional Memberships & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- American Association for Justice
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Counsels cancer patients and their families
AWARDS & HONORS
- AV PreeminentTM Rated — Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Attorneys of America TM, Lifetime Charter Member
- Lawyers of Distinction for Personal Injury and Mass Tort
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Elected to the Texas Trial Lawyers Advocates committee and completed the Texas Trial Lawyers Associations Trial Academy (2021)
- Keynote speaker at the national MENSA Conference (2019)
- Selected to the Texas Super Lawyers list (2013-2018)
- Top 25 Mass Tort Trial Lawyers — The National Trial Lawyers (2018)
- America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators (2017)
- 10 Best in Client Satisfaction — American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys (2016)
- Nation's Top 1% — National Association of Distinguished Counsel (2015)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers — The National Trial Lawyers (2014)
- Featured on PBS's Newshour (2014)
- Featured on NPR's All Things Considered (2014)
- Featured on the cover of Medical Economics (June 6, 2001 issue)